Below you will find comments and thoughts collected from two meetings in Chicago, February 18 & 19, 2014, while a group of truth seekers and students of Christian Science considered updating Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy.
- Why is there a decline in church membership when Christian Science can’t decline?
- The purpose of Christian Science is to heal humankind but it must be presented usefully.
- Science and Health needs to be easier to read for people unfamiliar with 19th century language.
- References in Science and Health need to be relatable.
- Footnotes are necessary so the book doesn’t look like plagiarism.
- There is a difference between Christian Science and Church. Christian Science doesn’t revolve around church but church should revolve around divine Science.
- Give people credit for being able to understand Science and Health and make their own translations when reading the book.
- The Christian Science Publishing Society is already updating foreign texts in Science and Health.
- Updating Science and Health protects the books integrity and progress.
- The phrase, “if you read this book you will be healed,” is misleading.
- We are students of Christian Science, rather than Christian Scientists.
- Fear of change is based on the culture of a judging church.
- Methods of communication have changed over the last century.
- Old language turns readers away.
- A revision of Science and Health isn’t for people who like Eddy’s version, but for other truth seekers.
- Being afraid that Mary Baker Eddy will be displaced in status actually stops progress and can also build her up as an idol.
- Word definitions change over time and actually change the meaning of Science and Health.
- The Board of Directors at The First Church of Christ, Scientist, can appoint a committee to update Science and Health.
- Can “church officials” reliably translate Eddy’s explanation of Christian Science without pushing an agenda?
- Any update should contain the author, or authors, names. Never act as though we are speaking for Mrs. Eddy.
- Look in the mirror to see what the problem is facing Christian Science today.
- A huge decline in readership of Science and Health exists in the 21st century.
- Be real, be honest, connect, love
- Overcome fear.
- Choose love.
Tagged: accountability in church, church decline, God and writing, plagiarist writers, trip to dhicago, what is a good book
This should go on the Time4Thinkers forum